6.16.2008

Little Details

I should be working…but I have to jot down a few quick thoughts.

*Sunday was a lazy day…Ellen and I went grocery shopping. That’s the only time we ventured out for the day. Our apartment seems to be the central one that people wander in and out of, which I like. So we have friends coming and going, seeing what plans are. I had the opportunity to go do the London Eye and/or a market over in Camden, but I just laid low for the day. I know I said I didn’t want to spend a day like that, but after two weeks of go-go-go, I really didn’t feel up to it. It was kind of nice to just hang around…we watched silly movies on TV, and listened to a little John Mayer (still gearing up for the 28th!!!)

*The work I did last week was put in the Friday Briefing! I was worried about the content, it being too long/not good enough, etc…but very little of it was changed – mostly just my American spelling! :-) So I’m feeling good about that. Today I’m just looking around for more news-worthy things, or “consultations” for NCA to comment on. As far as I can tell, I’m still on for this Wednesday’s reception at 10 Downing Street. Even though I’ll just be there to hand out name badges and info packets, I can’t believe I’ll be inside those doors! WOW! It still feels too good to be true!

*Here are things I miss:
Parker (I saw a beagle a few days ago and I think I lost my mind for a second).
Not having the feeling of “Am I doing this wrong?!” all the time.
My friends! (I love our group here, they’re great, but there are no friends like home)

I think that’s really about it. I set a few rules for myself while I’m here, that I will try my best to not buy anything or eat anywhere that is available in the states. Not to say that people come to London for the food, but there are so many new things here that are worth trying. That’s what I’ve been doing and I think it makes it more fun and it prevents me from getting homesick for anything. Plus, I’d been suffering from a bit of cabin fever for the past 3 weeks before I left, so I’m still on that “I’m out of the house!!” high. Who knows how I’ll feel a few weeks from now. My guess is I’ll feel the same way….I love it here. Plus it’s the little things I’m noticing how I’m more comfortable here now…when I’m walking home, I’m getting impatient with the slow walkers (like I would in DC/on the metro), or in the grocery stores I’m starting to figure out what I really like to buy (certain crackers, a particular type of yogurt, those naan things, etc). Silly little details but that’s what makes it fun.

*Sometimes I wish I had more perspective on this whole thing. Maybe it was just because yesterday was such a lazy, comfortable day…but I feel like I’m starting to lose the feeling of being here. Does that make sense? Like I don’t think about the fact that I’m here, IN LONDON much anymore. It’s just the place that I’m in with the people that I know now and where I work, and just the things that I do. I don’t want to take a minute of this place for granted, or feel like this isn’t a wonderfully amazing experience, which I know it is. But how do you experience things on a "big picture" level and an "in the moment" level at the same time!? Or is it just too early in the morning and I haven’t had enough coffee?

1 comment:

meghan said...

I am so impressed with how you have been taking advantage of everything at your fingertips in order to appreciate everything. Sooooo, don't feel bad for taking a day off - people in England relax, too!