7.11.2008

It's.....FRIIIIDAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I can't believe I used that as the title. I really can't.

Normally I’d just do a full weekend post on Sunday, but I think there’s too much going on so I’m going to break it up. Plus I’ve added some pictures in the last 2 days so we can cover those now! Also…I’m not really doing much at the moment – I have an early wake up call tomorrow (more on that later) morning so I’m taking it easy tonight.

SO…the ones after the zoo are various things that entertain me on my walk home. It was a nice day so I thought I’d take the time to photograph some things. The highlights:

(on Oxford Street)

*A little place called Belgian Food Company – they sell ice cream, and (obviously) waffles with various sweet toppings. This place smells like heaven. Depending on which way the breeze is blowing, I can smell this place at least a block away. I’ve never been there, and now I’m afraid it won’t live up to how good it smells. I might just let it stay up on that pedestal.

(Tottenham Court Road)

*This store called Confetti – the entire store is just party decorations and party favors, with what seems like a fairly girly perspective – it’s like a super upscale party store, times a million. I LOVE this place and I think I slow down a little bit as I walk by everyday. Seriously, my love for party decorations is almost as strong as my love for office supplies.

(Euston Street)

*The British Library. It’s a cool structure and it means I’m almost at King’s Cross!

When I walk the whole way home, after King’s Cross I veer onto Pentonville Rd…there’s a pub there called The Long Hope. I really just enjoy the name.

The pictures you see first are from my day today! You can probably guess where I went. First let me say, I walked a bajillion miles today. Actually I think it’s probably closer to 6, but still.

I woke up around 9 after an excellent night’s sleep, and leisurely showered, had a couple cups of coffee, got dressed and figured out my plans for the day. It was very peaceful and quiet and relaxed. Certainly a good start to the day!

So then I walked from my apartment down to the Tate Modern. I enjoyed a lot of the stuff. Obviously it’s super cool to see Picasso, Pollack, Warhol, Matisse, and I was able to familiarize myself more with artists like Roy Lichtenstein, Jasper Johns, and many others…those in “the know” of the visual art world already know these people, but I did not. Anyway, I was there for about an hour and a half, then took the tube up to Oxford Circus and walked up to Regent’s Park.

I found a nice bench in the Avenue Gardens section of the park, and ate the lunch I packed…an apple and chicken/naan sandwich, if you were wondering. After that I kept walking north through the park until I got to the London Zoo! I love zoos, so I ponied (ha, ‘cause it’s an animal…but they didn’t have those in the zoo..) up the money to check it out. Glad I did! It was fun and I got some good pictures. I guess animals are animals anywhere, but it was still a fun way to spend an afternoon.

After a few hours at the zoo I walked to the Camden Town tube station – on the way I got to see a little bit more of the Primrose Hill area (hi, you have a lot of money) and of course a little bit more of Camden, but only to the tube b/c it was kind of raining and I was tired after walking 234 miles. Or 5.5, at that point...whatever.

Got home and just sat down for a little while! Called Frank Benson, talked to him for a little while, uploaded my pictures, made some dinner (vegetable stir fry, and had some naan and tzatziki sauce) and tried to watch cricket on TV but that seriously lasted about 4 minutes. It only made me think of that one Sports Night episode…heh.

Now I’m just enjoying the apartment to myself, and getting ready to go to Edinburgh tomorrow! Tomorrow is another 12 on 12 but I can guarantee I’ll have more than 12 pictures to post when I get home Sunday night.

Talk to you in a few!

1 comment:

meghan said...

Sounds like a perfect day!