2.28.2008

Tales from my bed

Don't get excited. Not what you think.

When I am trying to get to sleep, I switch positions at least twice before I actually fall asleep. (side note: this is why I don't like sleeping in the same bed as other people. I feel bad for them, and irritated that I have to worry about the possibility of throwing an uppercut or horizontal roundhouse to the face) Sometimes when I was young and having a particularly hard time of getting to sleep, I would get so frustrated and the only thing that helped was to switch ends of the bed and sleep with my feet at the headboard. Such a strange thing, but it worked every time. That change of scenery, if you will, was enough to settle me down and I could fall asleep pretty easily from there. Of course I didn't need to do it every night - I had that bed from age 5-22 and most nights were comfortable and warm and everything I needed, with my head properly by my headboard. It was just every so often, I needed a change.

I have been living with my parents for almost three years now, since I graduated from VT. Except for a few weekend trips, I haven't gone anywhere. Wanderlust is my middle name. By now you all know that I'm applying to a London internship for the summer. I would work for a company (based on my own interests and determined upon my acceptance) during June and July. I've been to London twice as a tourist, and now I really want to be there to work and live as a regular person. It's everything I could want in a program. I am excited and nervous, since I mailed my application materials yesterday and now I wait.

Interestingly enough, last night I was having trouble sleeping and gave the ol' switcheroo a try. Also, I wish I had a better word than switcheroo. Regardless of word choice, it still worked.

There is so much that I love about Reston, and DC, and sometimes I get the feeling that no place will every compare. I'd want to move somewhere that is just like this area (only cheaper...please.). But it's been three years and I am beyond ready to change things up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally and completely understand. You come wander to Berkeley whenever you want. Miss you!

dc365 said...

I used to do the same thing! I'd periodically switch pillow/foot orientation, but I think it had more to do with fresh air and temperature (window was at one side of the bed.)

It might freak the Boyfriend out if I did that now...

meghan said...

I consider my schooling in OH a hiatus from wonderful VA... and I'm constantly torn over if I want to go back and settle down or go someplace new and potentially exciting. I'm with you!

[random: my word verification is "ouizzy" and saying it makes me laugh]