10.14.2008

Breaking news from Funkytown

Fine by me, as long as they don't get rid of Molly.

I picked up this information from EW's Popwatch blog. First I would like to know from the ladies, did you have these dolls? I never really liked Samantha, because I thought she was spoiled, aka I was jealous. Of a fictional being. I had Molly and Felicity.

On a non-American girl related note, I (not so) secretly (anymore) want to be best friends with Michael Slezak and Annie Barrett. Is that okay with you? Anyway, EW also has their Must List, for which they are currently taking suggestions.

*

I can always tell when I'm getting in a bit of a funk because I will start wanting to consume. EVERYTHING. If I'm sad, my go-to-fix-it is consumption - namely, food and anything sold at Target. I'm at the point that I realize it and when I find myself itching and twitching for knick-knacks and candy, I do my best to dust myself off and pick myself up and other such sunshine-y cliches.

Rosa helped this past Saturday. After her peer pressuring/encouragement we resumed our butt-early-on-a-Saturday walks with Reston Runners. Firstly, can I say how ridiculous I feel everytime I mention that we do walks with Reston Runners? Obviously not ridiculous enough to start doing the running with them, but it always makes me feel a little bit lame even though it's still good for me. Anyhoodle. So we did our 3 mile walk in the bright sunshine that accompanied our 8am walk through North Reston, and it was lovely. The way my legs felt on Sunday was not so lovely, but ultimately it was still great and considerably picked up my spirits.

A few days later and any trace of motivation or confidence or lack-of-a-funk is gone. I can't seem to really throw myself out of whatever state it is I seem to have allowed myself to be in. What is so frustrating is that I KNOW I'm in one, I KNOW what it takes to get out of it, I KNOW how to do it....and yet, that's what I'm left with. What exactly is my problem that I can't get over whatever invisible hurdle is in front of me?

I believe it's this invisible hurdle I try to break down with manicure accessories, cheap sunglasses and gigantic fake leather bags. It doesn't work and here I am with an overflowing closet. Literally. If you could see my room right now it looks like Mt. Vesuvius erupted with Xhiliration.

*

What was I talking about? Oh, right. So anyway, I thought I should take a cue from fake best friends at EW and take a minute to ponder my own Must List (but less pop-culture-y than EW's). What I've always needed thus far and maybe what I need to keep moving forward.

1. Water.
2. A clean room. (Just because I know I need it doesn't mean I do it all the time...)
3. You know who you are.
4. Good music.
5. Fresh air.
6. Comedy.

What's on yours?

4 comments:

meghan said...

I LOVED Samantha growing up... and I feel sad that she's leaving. I never had any of the dolls, but I did have her books. I read them over and over and over. Love.

And I'm too tired to create a must list, but I'm super excited to be coming home to celebrate the newest CC members. I hope this helps get you out of your funk. [Erm, not just me because I'm THAT special, but all of us being together.]

Anonymous said...

lb & ro, reston walkers.

we're awesome. =]
one day, we too will run.
see you bright and early on sat!

Dan said...

Aw, poor Samantha. She was totally privileged and spoiled, but my mom got her for me because she looked the most like me. I also had Kirsten (name thing) and Felicity.

Anyway, I hear you on the lack of motivation once you're in a funk. I have whole weeks like that. It almost just takes another day to just wake up and feel different. I'm sorry hon :(

My must list:
1. A large stack of books
2. My chosen family
3. Some sort of body of water to retreat to
4. Adventures
5. Food and drink of some yummy kind
6. My kitties.

Oh, also, I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I saw Rosa walking on one of those days. Right in front of Aldrin Elementary. I was so confused - because i saw runners, and then I saw walkers, and then I saw Rosa. This explains everything. Excellent.